NHRC seeks report from UP govt on Dalit girl`s ordeal
New Delhi: Perturbed at denial of school admission to a Dalit girl as she was a rape victim, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday sought a report from Uttar Pradesh government on the issue.
Acting on a media report, the NHRC asked the Chief Secretary and Director General of Police to file a report within four week on the allegations related to the girl from Bijnore.
The 14-year-old girl was denied admission in a village school in Bijnor as she was the victim of a gang rape, a Commission spokesperson said quoting reports which appeared in a media report on September one.
The Commission also directed the government to inform them as to what action had been taken against the accused under the provisions of Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (POA) Act including protection to the family of the victim and the monetary relief as admissible under the rules.
The culprits had also made an MMS of the incident and circulated it in the market, revealing her identity and making it difficult for her to go out.
The parents of the victim approached a school for her admission in an apparent attempt to allow her overcome her trauma and start life afresh.
"But the school management refused to admit her on the ground that the parents of the other students had threatened to withdraw their wards if the girl was given admission," the spokesperson said quoting media reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31