NHRC seeks report from UP govt on thrashing of woman by cops
New Delhi: The NHRC on Thursday sought a report from the Uttar Pradesh government on the alleged thrashing of a woman inside a police station when she went there to inquire about her son, who was kept in the lock-up.
The notice was issued to Chief Secretary and DGP of Uttar Pradesh calling for a report within four weeks.
The NHRC action came following a media report that the mother of a 9-year-old boy was thrashed by police personnel and pushed out of the Quarsi Police Station, Aligarh, UP, when she went to inquire about her son who was kept in the police lock-up.
The contents of the press report, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights, an NHRC statement said.
- JNUSU President Kanhaiya Kumar shown black flags in Patna
- India's Kalvari stealth submarine starts sea trials
- New uniform for Air India cabin crew in the offing, khadi among several suggestions
- Uber brings back surge pricing, Arvind Kejriwal warns of strong action
- Happy Birthday! New photographs of Britain's Princess Charlotte released