NHRC team to visit riot-hit Muzaffarnagar today
New Delhi: A National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) team will visit the riot-hit Muzaffarnagar and adjoining Shamli district in Uttar Pradesh on Thursday to assess the situation there.
During its two-day visit, the six-member team, headed by Justice Cyriac Joseph, will conduct spot enquiry regarding relief and rehabilitation measures undertaken by the state government for those affected by the communal violence, that claimed over 60 lives and rendered several homeless.
The other members of the team are Director General (Investigation) Kanwaljit Deol, Registrar (Law) A K Garg, Presenting Officer C K Tyagi, SSP S K Jain and Inspector Nitin Kumar, a statement from NHRC said.
It will meet the administrative officials of the two districts and also interact with NGOs working in the area, the statement said.
The Commission has already sent a questionnaire to the District Magistrates of Muzaffarnagar and Shamli seeking specific information on various issues, including loss of life, property, displaced persons, missing persons, orphaned children and incidents of sexual assault on victims of communal violence, if reported.
The District Magistrates have also been asked to provide information pertaining to supply of food at affordable prices to the riot affected villages, arrangement of education for children staying in relief camps, details of monetary relief paid or proposed to be paid for loss of human life and property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice