NHRC team to visit riot-hit Muzaffarnagar today
New Delhi: A National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) team will visit the riot-hit Muzaffarnagar and adjoining Shamli district in Uttar Pradesh on Thursday to assess the situation there.
During its two-day visit, the six-member team, headed by Justice Cyriac Joseph, will conduct spot enquiry regarding relief and rehabilitation measures undertaken by the state government for those affected by the communal violence, that claimed over 60 lives and rendered several homeless.
The other members of the team are Director General (Investigation) Kanwaljit Deol, Registrar (Law) A K Garg, Presenting Officer C K Tyagi, SSP S K Jain and Inspector Nitin Kumar, a statement from NHRC said.
It will meet the administrative officials of the two districts and also interact with NGOs working in the area, the statement said.
The Commission has already sent a questionnaire to the District Magistrates of Muzaffarnagar and Shamli seeking specific information on various issues, including loss of life, property, displaced persons, missing persons, orphaned children and incidents of sexual assault on victims of communal violence, if reported.
The District Magistrates have also been asked to provide information pertaining to supply of food at affordable prices to the riot affected villages, arrangement of education for children staying in relief camps, details of monetary relief paid or proposed to be paid for loss of human life and property.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm