NHRC team visits clash-hit Greater Noida villages
New Delhi: A seven-member team from the
National Human Rights Commission on Tuesday visited Bhatta-Parsaul
villages in Greater Noida to probe complaints of police
atrocities following a farmers` protest early this month.
The team from the investigation division of NHRC, led by
a Senior Superintendent of Police and comprising two deputy SP
and four inspector-rank officers, went to the affected areas,
according to the rights panel.
"Pained" over violence over land acquisition and
complaints of police atrocities in Greater Noida, the NHRC had
on May 12 said it will send an investigation team there.
The rights body had said it has received complaints about
police trespassing into villagers` houses, outraging women`s
dignity and mercilessly lathicharging farmers demanding more
compensation for their land acquired for a road project.
"The NHRC is pained to see complaints and media reports
alleging large-scale violence in village Bhatta and other
nearby areas in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh leading to loss
of life and injuries to several persons, including the
officers on the state government`s duty," it had said.
Four persons, including two policemen, were killed in
farmers-police clashes and firing in Bhatta-Parsaul villages
on on May 7. Following the incident, Congress leader Rahul
Gandhi visited the area and alleged that people were burnt
alive and women raped there while National Women`s Commission
also claimed to have received complaints from villagers about
molestation of women by police and demanded a CBI probe.
The Uttar Pradesh government has dismissed these
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader