NIA gets 15-day custody of Akthar in Hyderabad blasts case
Hyderabad: Asadullah Akhtar, an alleged close associate of banned terror group Indian Mujahideen`s co-founder Yasin Bhatkal, was on Thursday sent in 15-day custody of the National Investigation Agency in the Hyderabad twin bomb blasts case by a court here.
Akhtar was produced by NIA amid heavy security in the court of First Additional Metropolitan Sessions Judge here.
After his production, the court first remanded Akthar to a 30-day judicial custody. Then NIA filed an application seeking 15-day custodial interrogation, saying that he was a part of a larger conspiracy against the country and a threat to the nation.
NIA said there was a need for a thorough interrogation to get more information on his role in terror acts.
After arguments and counter-arguments, the court in the evening allowed NIA`s application, with the condition that he should be examined by doctors every 48-hour and allowed to meet his lawyer once a day.
Mediapersons were not allowed inside the courtroom during the proceedings.
Seventeen people were killed and 100 others were injured in the blasts near Konark and Venkatadiri theatres in Dilsukhnagar, a crowded shopping area in the city, on February 21 this year.
Bhatkal and Asadullah were arrested by security agencies on the Indo-Nepal border last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan