Lucknow: The RD Nimesh Commission report on the arrest of two Muslim youths on terror charges following serial bomb blasts in the Faizabad, Barabanki and Lucknow courts was tabled on Monday in Uttar Pradesh Assembly.
The commission in its 237 page report has raised doubts over the claims of the Special Task Force (STF) regarding the arrests of Tariq Qasmi and Khalid Mujahid from Barabanki in the blasts case.
Strongly recommending that the officials and staff who played an active role in the arrests be identified, the commission said action should be taken against them.
It has concluded that the involvement of Qasmi and Mujahid in the blasts, for which they were arrested on December 22, 2007, appeared "suspiscious".
The commission also stated that since the matter was pending in the Barabanki district court, it was not possible to fix responsibility on any individual at this stage.
The commission was was set up by the then Mayawati government on March 14, 2008, following a hue and cry over the arrest of the said duo in connection with the blasts.
It had submitted its report to the UP government in August of last year and the same was accepted by the state Cabinet on July 4.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had at the time said that it would be tabled in the Assembly during the monsoon session.
It may be recalled that Mujahid, one of the accused, had died under mysterious circumstances in May this year while being taken back to jail after a court hearing in Faizabad.