Nine cops suspended in connection with blast accused`s death
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday suspended nine policemen, including a Sub-Inspector, in connection with the death of a terror suspect Khalid Mujahid while being taken to Lucknow jail after a hearing on May 18.
Nine policemen, including Sub-Inspector Ram Avadh, seven constables and a driver have been suspended with immediate effect, an official spokesman said here.
Mujahid, an accused in serial blasts that had rocked Lucknow and Faizabad courts in November 2007, died on May 18 after he fell sick and fainted near Barabanki border while being escorted to Lucknow jail after a court hearing.
He was rushed to a district hospital, where doctors declared him brought dead.
Later, the state government, on the demand of the family of the deceased, has recommended a CBI inquiry into his death.
Earlier this month, a special court in Barabanki had rejected the Uttar Pradesh government`s application to withdraw cases against Khalid Mujahid along with another accused Tariq Kasmi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!