Nithari: Death warrant for Koli; mercy plea filed
Ghaziabad: In the horrifying Nithari killing case of 2006, a special court on Monday issued death warrant for the serial killer Surinder Koli for murdering 14-year-old Rimpa Haldar, one of his victims in the serial rape-cum-killing episode. In the May 3 order, the judge said that Koli should be hanged between May 24 and May 31 at 4 AM.
Koli had moved a mercy petition before President of India on May 7 which got rejected, the CBI counsel on Monday told the special court which fixed May 13 for further order in the matter.
CBI Judge Shyam Lal issued the death warrant for execution of Koli, 39, after the Supreme Court in February confirmed the death penalty awarded to him, CBI advocate Jai Prakash Sharma said on Monday.
Koli was sentenced to death along with his employer Moninder Singh Pandher, 54, by the Ghaziabad court on February 13, 2009. It was the first of the Nithari killings cases to be decided. The Allahabad High Court had confirmed Koli`s death sentence on September 11, 2009 while acquitting Pandher of the
The Supreme Court upheld the death sentence in February saying the case was "horrifying" and "barbaric" and "no mercy can be shown to him". A bench of justices Markandey Katju and Gyan Sudha Misra had said, "Koli has not retracted his confessional statement" and the circumstances in which the crime was committed was "premeditated" falling in the "rarest of rare
"In the statement, he (Koli) described how he allured the girls and then strangulated them. He also confessed that he used to have sex with dead bodies and would eat parts of human body after cooking them," the bench had said in the order.
A total of 16 cases were registered against Koli after Nithari serial killings came to light in December 2006, following discovery of human remains from a drain behind Pandher`s house in Noida of the outskirts of Delhi.
Haldar, who went missing from her home in the neighbourhood of Pandher`s residence in early 2005, was one of victims of serial rape-cum-killing episode that sent shockwaves across the country.
Koli was sentenced to death in four other cases. Both Koli and Pandher are currently lodged in the high-security Dasna Jail here.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- DNA: Minor burnt three puppies to death in Hyderabad
- Lok Sabha adjourns after uproar over AAP MP Bhagwant Mann's Parliament video, other issues
- Book on LK Advani to be released without his consent?
- Hong Kong student leader pleads not guilty
- Gold down by Rs 51 to Rs 31,347 per 10 gram in futures trade
- ‘Kabali’ Rajinikanth mania grips nation – WATCH to believe it