No central funds to check Encephalitis: UP govt
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Sunday blamed
the Centre for not releasing Rs 300 crore to check the spread
of Encephalitis, while rejecting Union Health Minister Ghulam
Nabi Azad`s claim that lack of sanitation and proper drinking
water was hampering the battle against the disease.
"The state has done whatever it can from its limited
resources to check spread of Acute Encephalitis Syndrome
(AES). The state has sent Rs 300 crore proposal for providing
sanitation and proper drinking water in eastern UP but it has
not been accepted," a health department spokesman said here.
Reacting to media reports regarding Health Minister`s
letter to state government, he said till date no such letter
was received by the government.
The spokesman said after 2007, the year when BSP government
came to power in the state, vaccination programme for children
up to 15 years was started due to which AES deaths declined
from 1042 in 2005 to 164 in 2011.
"As far as AES is concerned the Centre has neither
developed an vaccine nor gave any support to the state to
check the disease," he said.
In his letter, Azad has reportedly said the findings of
scientists from National Institute of Virology, Pune suggested
that AES, a water-borne disease, continued to prevail in
eastern UP as proper sanitation and drinking water were not
available to residents.
The letter said hand pumps for drinking water needed to be
replaced by pumps that get water from more than 70-ft below
ground surface where AES virus cannot reach.
The toll in the viral disease in eastern Uttar Pradesh has
climbed to 488 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border