No laptop distribution after evening: UP CM
Lucknow: Taking serious note of a girl being raped while returning home after attending a laptop distribution programme, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has sought an explanation from the minister whose late arrival had delayed the event and ordered that all such functions be concluded before evening.
All the district magistrates have been asked to finish the programmes by 1.30 pm and ensure the return of the students positively by 4 pm, officials said.
"The Chief Minister has taken rape case of the teenage girl very seriously and besides issuing strict directives for ending such programme by 1.30 pm, has also sought an explanation from the minister whose late arrival in Faizabad had delayed the programme," a government spokesman said.
The chief minister has asked all the ministers to reach for the programmes at the right time to ensure the safety and security of the students, the spokesman said.
It is being alleged that the programme scheduled at 2 pm got delayed due to the late arrival of the chief guest, Social Welfare Minister Awadhesh Prasad and concluded around 10 pm after which the girls were asked to return.
On Monday night, the 18-year-old student of Ramchandra Smarak Inter college, Jamuari in Sukulbazar area was returing home from Faizabad after receiving a laptop when the driver of the SUV, which was supposed to drop girls after the programme allegedly raped her and then dumped her on roadside.
The girl managed to reach home and narrated the incident to her family members, who filed police complaint.
The accused driver has been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'