No laptop distribution after evening: UP CM
Lucknow: Taking serious note of a girl being raped while returning home after attending a laptop distribution programme, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has sought an explanation from the minister whose late arrival had delayed the event and ordered that all such functions be concluded before evening.
All the district magistrates have been asked to finish the programmes by 1.30 pm and ensure the return of the students positively by 4 pm, officials said.
"The Chief Minister has taken rape case of the teenage girl very seriously and besides issuing strict directives for ending such programme by 1.30 pm, has also sought an explanation from the minister whose late arrival in Faizabad had delayed the programme," a government spokesman said.
The chief minister has asked all the ministers to reach for the programmes at the right time to ensure the safety and security of the students, the spokesman said.
It is being alleged that the programme scheduled at 2 pm got delayed due to the late arrival of the chief guest, Social Welfare Minister Awadhesh Prasad and concluded around 10 pm after which the girls were asked to return.
On Monday night, the 18-year-old student of Ramchandra Smarak Inter college, Jamuari in Sukulbazar area was returing home from Faizabad after receiving a laptop when the driver of the SUV, which was supposed to drop girls after the programme allegedly raped her and then dumped her on roadside.
The girl managed to reach home and narrated the incident to her family members, who filed police complaint.
The accused driver has been arrested.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata