No laptop distribution after evening: UP CM
Lucknow: Taking serious note of a girl being raped while returning home after attending a laptop distribution programme, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has sought an explanation from the minister whose late arrival had delayed the event and ordered that all such functions be concluded before evening.
All the district magistrates have been asked to finish the programmes by 1.30 pm and ensure the return of the students positively by 4 pm, officials said.
"The Chief Minister has taken rape case of the teenage girl very seriously and besides issuing strict directives for ending such programme by 1.30 pm, has also sought an explanation from the minister whose late arrival in Faizabad had delayed the programme," a government spokesman said.
The chief minister has asked all the ministers to reach for the programmes at the right time to ensure the safety and security of the students, the spokesman said.
It is being alleged that the programme scheduled at 2 pm got delayed due to the late arrival of the chief guest, Social Welfare Minister Awadhesh Prasad and concluded around 10 pm after which the girls were asked to return.
On Monday night, the 18-year-old student of Ramchandra Smarak Inter college, Jamuari in Sukulbazar area was returing home from Faizabad after receiving a laptop when the driver of the SUV, which was supposed to drop girls after the programme allegedly raped her and then dumped her on roadside.
The girl managed to reach home and narrated the incident to her family members, who filed police complaint.
The accused driver has been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured