`No one punished in UP for sex determination in 20 years`
Lucknow: Not a single person has been punished since the enactment of Prohibition of Sex selection Act 20 years ago in Uttar Pradesh, state health minister Ahmed Hassan said and emphasised on training advocates and policemen so that the guilty do not go scot free.
As per the latest census, a decline in sex ratio has been registered in 64 districts of UP, the health minister said.
Addressing a meeting of state advisory board yesterday Hassan said almost 20 years have passed since Pre-conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex selection) Act -1994 came into force but not a single person has been punished under the act till date.
He said that only paper work was done and no positive effort was made.
The minister said that regular checking of registered and unregistered ultrasound centres should be done in every district and responsibility of the District Magistrate along with the Chief Medical Officer should be fixed.
Hassan said that at ultrasound centres, where machines were being operated by untrained persons, concerned CMO should take legal action.
He said that as per the latest census, gender ratio in UP was 912 girl per 1,000 boys.
Excluding 11 districts, a decline has been registered in the sex ratio in remaining 64 districts which was a matter of grave concern.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred