No proximity of Saharanpur violence accused with CM Akhilesh Yadav: UP govt
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government Saturday trashed news reports that claimed proximity of Saharanpur violence accused Moharram Ali aka Pappu with Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Rubbishing picture of the accused with Akhilesh that were published in some newspapers and run by television channels, a government spokesman said hundreds of people meet the chief minister everyday.
He added, therefore, no such insinuation should be made on him (Akhilesh) just on the basis of a picture.
It shows the accused standing with the chief minister at his 5, Kalidas Marg official residence. Others are also seen in the picture.
"The news is not only baseless and misleading but the handiwork of people with vested interests to mislead the people and tar the image of the state government," the spokesman told IANS.
The official added that for the state government, maintaining law and order was of prime importance and there can be no compromise on this front.
The spokesman said Moharram Ali has been arrested and appropriate action is being taken regarding the July 26 Saharanpur communal clashes between Sikhs and Muslims over a piece of land that left three dead and many injured.
He added that people disturbing harmony and acting as stumbling blocks in efforts to restore peace and normalcy in Saharanpur will be dealt with strongly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says