No relief for Nasimuddin from HC in assets case
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Thursday rejected a writ petition of former UP minister Nasimuddin Siddiqui, in which he had challenged a Lokayukta order asking the chief minister to "reconsider" probe against him and his wife in connection with a disproportionate assets case.
A Division Bench of acting Chief Justice Amitava Lala and Justice Pradeep Kumar Singh Baghel termed the petition as "premature" and dismissed it.
Siddiqui had moved the court against the Lokayukta`s March 15 order, asking Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to reconsider investigating into the allegations against the ex-minister.
Siddiqui is a close aide of BSP supremo Mayawati and had held cabinet rank during the BSP rule.
Mayawati had refused to order an inquiry by the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate against Siddiqui, as recommended by the Lokayukta, holding that the allegations against him "had to do with him as a person and not as a minister and hence he could not be prosecuted under Section 12(4) of the Lokayukta Act that covers corruption charges against a civil servant".
Siddiqui, who had filed the petition jointly with his wife Husna, had argued that once the Lokayukta`s recommendation were turned down by the then chief minister, the ombudsman had no power to send it for reconsideration upon a change of guard in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble