Noida DM, who defended IAS officer Durga, transferred
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday transferred Gautam Budh Nagar (Noida) District Magistrate Ravikant Singh, who had given a clean chit to IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal, whose suspension in July had created a furore across the country.
DM, Unnao, Hiralal Gupta will be Noida`s new District Magistrate.
In his report to the UP government, Singh had supported Nagpal and said that the wall was demolished by villagers themselves and no JCB machine was put in operation to demolish it.
Though no official reason has been given for Singh`s transfer, it comes after villagers at Sorkha village in Sector 115 in Noida yesterday protested against a demolition drive in the area and pelted stones and set ablaze a police vehicle.
Singh had yesterday reached the site and pacified the mob.
Earlier, Samajwadi Party leaders had sought an action against Singh for claiming in the report that the 2009-batch officer did not demolish any religious building wall.
Nagpal was suspended on July 27, ostensibly over the razing the wall of a mosque in Gautam Budh Nagar, an action the state government said could have triggered communal tensions. She was issued a chargesheet on August 04.
Opposition parties and others alleged that she was targeted for clamping down on the powerful sand mafia in the state.
Coming out in support of Nagpal, Congress president and the chairperson of National Advisory Council (NAC) Sonia Gandhi had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, saying that she should not be "unfairly treated".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation