Noida farmers march to support Anna
Greater Noida: Announcing their support for activist Anna Hazare`s crusade against corruption, farmers in Uttar Pradesh Friday took out a procession from Patwari-Bisrakh Square here to the Ramlila ground in Delhi, in turn expecting his support for a new land acquisition bill.
Hazare, currently in Tihar Jail, will later sit on a fast-unto-death at the Ramlila ground demanding a stronger Lokpal bill.
The farmers displayed placards declaring their support for Hazare.
About a hundred farmers on motorcycles joined the procession winding its way from the Greater Noida-Ghaziabad Expressway, Noida Extension, National Highway-24, the Nizamuddin Bridge and Rajghat.
Farmers of Greater Noida have been victimised by the arbitrarily taken decisions of the state bureaucracy, said their leader Dushyant Nagar.
They will request Hazare to include their demand for a new land acquisition bill along with the Jan Lokpal bill drafted by Team Anna, he added.
Farmers here, especially those of Bhatta Parsaul and Patwari villages, have been demanding a higher compensation from the Uttar Pradesh government for their lands.
Hazare had earlier planned to begin his fast at the JP Park near the ITO in the capital Tuesday.
He was sent to Tihar and was subsequently released Tuesday night, but he refused to leave the jail until he is allowed to carry on the fast without any conditions.
The 74-year-old has been demanding that the government bring the prime minister, higher judiciary and the conduct of MPs inside parliament within the ambit of the Lokpal (ombudsman).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued