Noida farmers threaten to stall building projects
Noida: Farmers of around 54 villages on Sunday threatened to stall the projects of builders to protests against the alleged inaction of Noida Authority in meeting their demands over land takeover.
The farmers announced their plan to stall all building projects in sectors 74-79 and 112-121. The villagers whose land was acquired for the development of Noida, also held a hunger strike on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti.
"The authority`s CEO assured us in writing twice. We had given them time till Oct 2 to settle our issues but they are simply not keen to look into them," said Naresh Yadav, convener of the Sorkha Jahidabad Kisan Sangharsh Samiti.
"We are ready to face lathicharge and prepared for going to jail. There would be an indefinite strike from Monday," Yadav said.
The farmers claimed that their lands were taken over by the authority at a price of Rs.2-3 per square yard and were not provided any rehabilitation.
The farmers of Sorkha, whose lands were acquired at Rs.421 per square yard, demanded compensation of 50 percent of the allotment rate.
"The CEO had agreed to return 850 acres of land that was under their possession to farmers. The authority had sanctioned Rs.7 crore for a cement road around our village and approved Rs.1 crore for a marriage community centre but no work has been done at all, so far," Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan