Noida land row: Rahul arrested, released amid high drama
Greater Noida: Rahul Gandhi was arrested Wednesday night by the UP police capping a day of high drama after he slipped in unnoticed in pre-dawn hours to support the farmers agitating against the state`s land acquisition process for a
After a three-hour midnight drama of arrest and release, Rahul Gandhi was finally escorted back to Delhi by the UP police through the DND expressway and left at the inter-state bus terminus at Sarai Kale Khan a short distance from there
bringing an end to a nearly 24-hour sequence of events.
Rahul Gandhi, who spent almost 19 hours at Bhatta Parasul, the epicentre of the farmers` agitation, was arrested under Sec 151 CrPC at around 11:00 pm and was taken to the Kasna police station.
He was released on bail by the Uttar Pradesh Police and brought to Delhi at 2:15 am.
He was arrested along with AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh, UP Congress chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi, Congress MPs Raj Babbar and Parvez Hashmi, and other Congress leaders.
At the Kasna police station in Greater Noida, a Delhi suburb, Gandhi questioned the grounds on which he was arrested. "They are not showing us the documentation," he said.
"Our fight against the Mayawati government will continue. We will be happy to go to jail on farmers` issues," Digvijay Singh told reporters soon after their release.
He wanted the National Human Rights Commission to look into the matter.
Digvijay Singh said the Congress would stage a strong protest against Gandhi`s arrest tomorrow.
At late night press conference in Lucknow, UP Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh the situation in Bhatta Parasaul was calm and attempts were being made to vitiate the atmosphere there.
The UP Cabinet Secretary said there were no prohibitory orders in force in Bhatta Parasaul since this morning as the orders were in place till only May 10.
Singh said prohibitory orders were re-imposed in the area after Congress leaders sought permission from the state authorities to hold a rally in the village.
Congress attacked Mayawati for Gandhi`s arrest with AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi saying UP has witnessed "the cruelest rule of several imperialistic regimes".
"UP government`s action in arresting Rahul Gandhi proves that Mayawati is digging her own grave," Dwivedi said.
"If any sense of justice is left in the government, judicial inquiry is the minimum that the state government should order immediately," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm