Noor Mohammad takes charge as AMU`s Vice-Chancellor
Aligarh: Dr Noor Mohammad, a 1977 batch
IAS officer, has taken over as the acting Vice Chancellor of
Aligarh Muslim University, sources said on Friday.
His appointment comes after two months of uncertainty with
last Vice Chancellor PK Abdul Azis` tenure having ended on
January 17 last. Mohammad took charge last evening.
He will hold the position of VC till a permanent
replacement is appointed. His name had figured prominently in
the original list of suggestions for the post placed before
the university’s executive council.
Mohammad told that his top priority for the job was to
restore the essential ethos of the historic institution.
"I will take steps to maintain law and order at the
campus. A handful of trouble makers will certainly not be
allowed to jeopardise the career of thousands of students who
would like the academic calendar to proceed peacefully", he
In the past two months, there have been a spate of
violent incidents at the campus in the absence of any stable
Born on July 30, 1951, Dr Mohammad is an alumni of AMU
from where he obtained his Master?s degree in physics in
He earned his doctorate later from Lucknow University in
Economics. In 1977, he topped the list in the IAS examination
and was allotted UP cadre. Among the top positions he has held was that of Uttar Pradesh`s Election Commissioner, a post that he held for several years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi