Northeastern activists claim they are being evicted
New Delhi: Several Northeastern activists on Monday alleged that a Resident Welfare Association (RWA) of South Delhi`s Munirka have ordered a Khap Panchayat like dictate asking people from the Northeast to evict the area.
They also claimed that those who have passed the order include family members of the youth who had allegedly raped a 14-year-old Manipuri girl in the area a few days and gave a written complaint in this regard at Vasant Vihar Police Station.
"They are responding after the rape of the 14-year-old. We have heard that those who have ordered this thing are the relatives of the culprit. Right now the order has not been finalized but it was decided in the meeting yesterday," said one of the complainants.
Binalakshmi Nepram, an activist working on issues related to Northeastern community said, "The SHO admitted that a meeting took place. They are hiding under the name of RWA? We want the police to investigate the matter."
However, an RWA member said that no such decision was taken and the meeting was convened to discuss other issues.
""No such decision was taken in our meeting. Our main agenda was about shops which remain open till 2 PM in the area because of anti-social elements come in the area and they disturb the locals. The meeting was to discuss this thing and to install CCTVs in some streets. There was nothing related to Northeast people," he said.
A senior Police official also said that there was nothing like `Khap Panchayat` and there was some misunderstanding between the two parties which was sorted out in the evening.
"We had convened a joint meeting of the two parties and the issue has been sorted out," he said.
Police also assured them that legal action will be taken against any landlord who forcibly evicts people from the Northeast and promised increased patrolling in the area.
It was also decided that RWAs will issue circular to ensure non-discrimination of Northeastern people in the area where a large number of Northeastern students reside in rented accommodations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr