Northeastern activists claim they are being evicted
New Delhi: Several Northeastern activists on Monday alleged that a Resident Welfare Association (RWA) of South Delhi`s Munirka have ordered a Khap Panchayat like dictate asking people from the Northeast to evict the area.
They also claimed that those who have passed the order include family members of the youth who had allegedly raped a 14-year-old Manipuri girl in the area a few days and gave a written complaint in this regard at Vasant Vihar Police Station.
"They are responding after the rape of the 14-year-old. We have heard that those who have ordered this thing are the relatives of the culprit. Right now the order has not been finalized but it was decided in the meeting yesterday," said one of the complainants.
Binalakshmi Nepram, an activist working on issues related to Northeastern community said, "The SHO admitted that a meeting took place. They are hiding under the name of RWA? We want the police to investigate the matter."
However, an RWA member said that no such decision was taken and the meeting was convened to discuss other issues.
""No such decision was taken in our meeting. Our main agenda was about shops which remain open till 2 PM in the area because of anti-social elements come in the area and they disturb the locals. The meeting was to discuss this thing and to install CCTVs in some streets. There was nothing related to Northeast people," he said.
A senior Police official also said that there was nothing like `Khap Panchayat` and there was some misunderstanding between the two parties which was sorted out in the evening.
"We had convened a joint meeting of the two parties and the issue has been sorted out," he said.
Police also assured them that legal action will be taken against any landlord who forcibly evicts people from the Northeast and promised increased patrolling in the area.
It was also decided that RWAs will issue circular to ensure non-discrimination of Northeastern people in the area where a large number of Northeastern students reside in rented accommodations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore