Not in favour of dividing Uttar Pradesh: Azam Khan
Varanasi: Senior Samajwadi Party
leader Azam Khan on Sunday opposed further division of Uttar
Pradesh for the creation of Purvanchal, saying it would harm
the interest of the state.
"The vastness of the state gives the state a major say
at the Centre... It also lends beauty to this state," Khan,
who came here for a day`s visit, said.
"There are both advantages and disadvantages in the
formation of small states. But experts are of the opinion that
it would harm the state more. People talk about progress in
Uttarakhand, but without the Centre`s package it would face
trouble in paying salaries," he said in reference to the
demand for a separate Purvanchal.
Incidentally, former SP colleague Amar Singh is
running a campaign for the formation of Purvanchal.
Khan termed Singh`s effort as an eyewash.
"He (Singh) is trying to gain political mileage by
demanding Purvanchal and in the process, create hatred towards
SP chief Mulayam Singh," Khan alleged.
The ruling BSP government`s high-handedness in dealing
with the Opposition party workers was also criticised by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters