Not in favour of dividing Uttar Pradesh: Azam Khan
Varanasi: Senior Samajwadi Party
leader Azam Khan on Sunday opposed further division of Uttar
Pradesh for the creation of Purvanchal, saying it would harm
the interest of the state.
"The vastness of the state gives the state a major say
at the Centre... It also lends beauty to this state," Khan,
who came here for a day`s visit, said.
"There are both advantages and disadvantages in the
formation of small states. But experts are of the opinion that
it would harm the state more. People talk about progress in
Uttarakhand, but without the Centre`s package it would face
trouble in paying salaries," he said in reference to the
demand for a separate Purvanchal.
Incidentally, former SP colleague Amar Singh is
running a campaign for the formation of Purvanchal.
Khan termed Singh`s effort as an eyewash.
"He (Singh) is trying to gain political mileage by
demanding Purvanchal and in the process, create hatred towards
SP chief Mulayam Singh," Khan alleged.
The ruling BSP government`s high-handedness in dealing
with the Opposition party workers was also criticised by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai