Notice to BSP MP Dhananjay Singh on police plea for cancelling bail
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Tuesday issued notice to BSP parliamentarian Dhananjay Singh, accused for torturing his maid, on the plea of police seeking cancellation of his bail.
Justice Sunita Gupta sought a response from Singh by May 21.
The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) MP was granted interim bail by trial court till May 20. Justice Gupta said she will decide the case May 21 as the MP could surrender on May 20, the date his bail expires.
Moving the high court, Delhi Police sought cancellation of Singh`s bail saying he is influential person and if released on bail, he would tamper with evidence and influence the witnesses.
Singh, a sitting MP from Jaunpur constituency in Uttar Pradesh, was granted bail to campaign for Lok Sabha elections as well as due to his father`s illness.
Singh is an accused of destroying evidence to shield his wife Jagriti, who was arrested for torturing her maid leading to her death. He was charge sheeted Feb 1 along with his wife for various offences, including destroying evidence and abetting murder and attempt to murder.
The BSP leader and his wife, a dental surgeon in a government hospital here, were arrested in November 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31