Notice to Khurshid, wife over Muslim quota promise
New Delhi/Lucknow: Law Minister Salman
Khurshid was on Tuesday caught in a raging controversy over his
promise for a nine per cent sub quota for backward Muslims
with the BJP complaining to the Election Commission which
slapped show cause notices on him and his wife, a Congress
candidate in Farrukhabad Assembly constituency in UP.
A BJP delegation headed by Mukhtar Abnbas Naqvi, MP, met
Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi and demanded action
against Khurshid for making the promise at an election meeting
in support of his wife, Louise, accusing him of violating the
Model Code of Conduct and Constitution.
Naqvi said seeking votes in the name of religion was
a violation of election laws.
However, Khurshid rejected charges against him claiming
he was only referring to the party`s election manifesto while
campaigning for Louise.
The minister hit back at BJP saying the party was
following double standards because it claims right to promise
construction of a Ram temple.
Acting on BJP`s complaint and taking cognisance of the
Law Minister`s promise, the election authorities served a
show-cause to his wife to explain within three days the
statements made by her husband while campaigning in her
Farrukhabad District Electoral Officer Sachchidanand Dubey
told PTI that "a show cause notice has been served on Louise
Khurshid by the Returning Officer for Farrukhabad Assembly
constituency Ashok Kumar Lal".
Late in the night, sources said that the EC is serving a
notice to Khurshid over his Muslim quota promise.
The Congress party went on the defensive on the EC notice
served on Khurshid`s wife over his quota remarks and said it
respected the election body`s decision.
The Law minister while campaigning in Farrukhabad had on
Sunday promised to the electorate that if Congress is voted to
power in the state it would enhance the sub-quota to Muslims
to 9 per cent within the 27 per cent quota for Other Backward
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part III
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working- Part II
- Modi govt will be known for fulfilling promises: LK Advani
- Sleep apnea gets worse in post-menopausal women
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns