Now, Mayawati demands hike in SC/ST quota
Lucknow: Going full throttle to woo SC and ST voters, Chief Minister Mayawati on Saturday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding increase in quota for them as per their population and job reservation in the private sector and the judiciary.
In her latest missive to Singh, the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister contended there has been an increase in the population of these communities but the quota has remained static, making it difficult to provide facilities to them.
Mayawati also stressed that OBCs should be included in the SC/ST list only after increasing the overall quota as per their population.
With Assembly Elections in Uttar Pradesh due in another six months, she requested the Prime Minister to take a decision on the matter at the earliest.
Mayawati accused the Centre of showing little interest in implementing welfare schemes for these sections at the national level.
The Chief Minister has written about half a dozen letters to the Prime Minister in the last fortnight over various issues, mostly pertaining to the weaker sections, apparently with an eye on the upcoming polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016
- Praveen Rana named as Narsingh Yadav's replacement for Rio Olympics by WFI
- Jallikattu: Customs, traditions have to pass legal and constitutional test as well, says SC
- Milky Way's hot gaseous Halo spins like a disk!
- 'Pained' by Una episode, many Dalits plan to embrace Buddhism
- 28 killed, scores injured in floods, landslides across Nepal