Now, Mayawati demands hike in SC/ST quota
Lucknow: Going full throttle to woo SC and ST voters, Chief Minister Mayawati on Saturday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding increase in quota for them as per their population and job reservation in the private sector and the judiciary.
In her latest missive to Singh, the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister contended there has been an increase in the population of these communities but the quota has remained static, making it difficult to provide facilities to them.
Mayawati also stressed that OBCs should be included in the SC/ST list only after increasing the overall quota as per their population.
With Assembly Elections in Uttar Pradesh due in another six months, she requested the Prime Minister to take a decision on the matter at the earliest.
Mayawati accused the Centre of showing little interest in implementing welfare schemes for these sections at the national level.
The Chief Minister has written about half a dozen letters to the Prime Minister in the last fortnight over various issues, mostly pertaining to the weaker sections, apparently with an eye on the upcoming polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you