Now, Mayawati demands hike in SC/ST quota
Lucknow: Going full throttle to woo SC and ST voters, Chief Minister Mayawati on Saturday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding increase in quota for them as per their population and job reservation in the private sector and the judiciary.
In her latest missive to Singh, the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister contended there has been an increase in the population of these communities but the quota has remained static, making it difficult to provide facilities to them.
Mayawati also stressed that OBCs should be included in the SC/ST list only after increasing the overall quota as per their population.
With Assembly Elections in Uttar Pradesh due in another six months, she requested the Prime Minister to take a decision on the matter at the earliest.
Mayawati accused the Centre of showing little interest in implementing welfare schemes for these sections at the national level.
The Chief Minister has written about half a dozen letters to the Prime Minister in the last fortnight over various issues, mostly pertaining to the weaker sections, apparently with an eye on the upcoming polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter