NRHM: CBI to book 15 doctors, 10 officers
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Thursday gave its nod to Central Bureau of Investigation’s to file case against doctors and health officers involved in the National Rural Health Mission (NHRM) scam.
The CBI had has sought prosecution sanction against former against 15 doctors and 10 health officers including former CMO AK Shukla.
Dr Shukla was earlier arrested in connection with the murder of two of his colleagues and NRHM scam.
The central bureau of investigation last week had raided Anant Mishra aka Antoo`s residences in Lucknow and Kanpur for his alleged role in the multi-crore scam.
Prior to the raid, Mishra`s former cabinet colleague Babu Singh Kushwaha and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator RP Jaiswal were named in the second chargesheet filed by the CBI in the NRHM scam at a Ghaziabad court.
The investigating agency has filed 13 cases over the alleged irregularities in utilising Rs 10,000 crore funds allocated under the centrally-sponsored NRHM to Uttar Pradesh.
Killings in NRHM scam
There have been a series of high-profile murders, including that of the two CMOs, one deputy CMO and half a dozen other clerical staff, related to the multi-crore-rupee scam in which many ministerial colleagues of former chief minister Mayawati were also allegedly involved.
The first death in this ominous case took place Oct 27, 2010 when the then CMO for Family Planning and Medical Health, Dr Vinod Arya, was shot dead while he was out for a morning walk. His successor, Dr BP Singh, was also killed in a similar fashion April 2, 2011.
Ballistic reports confirmed that both CMOs were killed with the same gun. While the present Samajwadi Party legislator Abhay Singh was named in the killings, deputy CMO Dr YS Sachan, who briefly held the charge of CMO, was also named in the case but he too died mysteriously inside the prison.
Though the then Mayawati government initially declared it as a suicide, autopsy report and a subsequent judicial magistrate probe established that it was a cold-blooded murder.
Dr AK Shukla`s name had surfaced in the case earlier too, and he was finally arrested last year but released on bail. He was again arrested for the second time after the Allahabad High Court rapped the CBI for tardy progress in the investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional