NRHM scam: CBI conducts fresh raids in UP
Lucknow: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Saturday carried out fresh searches in 30 locations across Uttar Pradesh in connection with the multi-crore National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scam.
The investigating agency carried out searches in 12 districts of Uttar Pradesh including Lucknow, Kanpur, Varanasi, Meerut, Jhansi at the residences of CMOs and Deputy CMOs.
Four fresh cases were registered by the CBI on Friday in connection with alleged embezzlement of funds under National Rural Health Mission by the then Chief Medical Officers in collusion with private drug suppliers to procure sub-standard medicines at exorbitant rates.
CBI has found in its preliminary enquiry that Mission Directorate of NRHM in Uttar Pradesh had received thousand of crores of rupees as funds between 2005-11 for running schemes like Mission Flexipool, Immunization, Reproductive Child Health (RCH), National Blindness Control Programme etc. Besides funds for civil construction and upgradation of hospitals were also received by them.
The raids were conducted after the Lakhimpur Kheri police claimed to have found a suicide note from the official flat of Pasgawan Community Health Centre clerk Mahendra Sharma, whose decomposed body was found on 15 February.
The note, according to the police, held CMO Dr JP Bhargava, deputy CMO Dr Balbir Singh and other officials, responsible for the suicide.
The CBI had also quizzed BSP MLA Ram Prasad Jaiswal and former family welfare minister Babu Singh Kushwaha in connection with the NRHM scam last week.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Rs 100 crore mark still too far for Shah Rukh Khan's 'Fan'?
- Forest fires rage in Uttarakhand; three NDRF teams deployed
- Raids at Andhra Pradesh transport official's premises reveal assets worth Rs 800 crores
- VIDEO: Have you ever seen this side of Rohit Sharma's personality? We bet not!
- Unbelievable offer! Samsung selling smartphones for Rs 1