NRHM scam: CBI searches NGOs in Lucknow
New Delhi: CBI has carried out searches at 10
places in Lucknow, including the offices of a non-government
organisations, in connection with alleged irregularities in a
National Rural Health Mission scam case.
Sources in the agency said the searches were in
connection with alleged scam in the funds allotted to the NGOs
for cataract surgeries in rural areas under national
programmes for blindness control last year.
They said the searches, which took place at 10 locations
in and around Lucknow on Saturday and Sunday, showed several
alleged irregularities including inflated bills and invoices,
unauthorised cataract camps and fake patients in the records
of the NGOs.
It was found that most of the patients, who have been
shown to be operated for cataract, do not exist, the sources
The agency had filed two cases in the scam as it found
leads which indicate that huge financial bungling was
allegedly committed by the UP Health Department officials in
connivance with contractors, CBI sources said.
CBI has alleged in the FIRs that officials incharge of
funds from the Centre under the NRHM allegedly acted
hand-in-gloves with contractors to create fraudulent
reimbursement bills in the names of hiring of vehicles and
medicine purchases to withdraw funds for personal gains,
agency sources said.
The Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court had on July
27 directed CBI to probe the murder of the two CMOs and
also alleged irregularities in implementation of the National
Rural Health Mission (NRHM) within three months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users