NRHM scam: Court asks UP to explain delay
Lucknow: Allahabad High Court on Thursday summoned the Uttar Pradesh Principal Health Secretary to explain the delay in allowing the CBI to prosecute officials accused in the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scam.
The Lucknow bench of the court asked Principal Secretary, Health, Sanjay Agarwal to appear before it by 2 pm and explain the delay.
The court also rapped the CBI for verbally informing it about the investigation and gave the agency 48 hours to file a written affidavit on the progress of probe.
It also told the agency to wrap up the probe in 20 days.
The CBI had sent a request letter to the Uttar Pradesh government on May 23 seeking prosecution of 22 doctors and IAS officer Pradeep Shukla in the scam.
But the files since then have been shuttling between the health and the law department.
Proximity of the accused to political masters was the stumbling block, official sources said.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had on Wednesday said that "some innocent people have been charged in the scam".
This had led to the speculation that the state government was unwilling to give CBI the green signal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!