NRHM scam: Court asks UP to explain delay
Lucknow: Allahabad High Court on Thursday summoned the Uttar Pradesh Principal Health Secretary to explain the delay in allowing the CBI to prosecute officials accused in the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scam.
The Lucknow bench of the court asked Principal Secretary, Health, Sanjay Agarwal to appear before it by 2 pm and explain the delay.
The court also rapped the CBI for verbally informing it about the investigation and gave the agency 48 hours to file a written affidavit on the progress of probe.
It also told the agency to wrap up the probe in 20 days.
The CBI had sent a request letter to the Uttar Pradesh government on May 23 seeking prosecution of 22 doctors and IAS officer Pradeep Shukla in the scam.
But the files since then have been shuttling between the health and the law department.
Proximity of the accused to political masters was the stumbling block, official sources said.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had on Wednesday said that "some innocent people have been charged in the scam".
This had led to the speculation that the state government was unwilling to give CBI the green signal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about