NRHM scam: Court asks UP to explain delay
Lucknow: Allahabad High Court on Thursday summoned the Uttar Pradesh Principal Health Secretary to explain the delay in allowing the CBI to prosecute officials accused in the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scam.
The Lucknow bench of the court asked Principal Secretary, Health, Sanjay Agarwal to appear before it by 2 pm and explain the delay.
The court also rapped the CBI for verbally informing it about the investigation and gave the agency 48 hours to file a written affidavit on the progress of probe.
It also told the agency to wrap up the probe in 20 days.
The CBI had sent a request letter to the Uttar Pradesh government on May 23 seeking prosecution of 22 doctors and IAS officer Pradeep Shukla in the scam.
But the files since then have been shuttling between the health and the law department.
Proximity of the accused to political masters was the stumbling block, official sources said.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had on Wednesday said that "some innocent people have been charged in the scam".
This had led to the speculation that the state government was unwilling to give CBI the green signal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical