NRHM scam: Pradeep Shukla fears for life
Ghaziabad: Senior IAS officer Pradeep Shukla, an accused in the NRHM scam and lodged in Dasna jail here, has expressed fear for his life.
Citing examples of previous incidents, Shukla has sought security in his cell.
The National Rural Health Mission scam, which is being probed for alleged bungling of over Rs 10,000 crore of central funds, has allegedly claimed five lives till now.
However, jail Superintendent Viresh Raj Sharma dismissed the IAS officer`s concerns saying Shukla was lodged in a solitary cell with adequate security.
A panel of doctors also attended him as he had complained of pain in spine due to tumour, Sharma said.
The senior officer, lodged in barrack number 16 (A) in Dasna was shifted to a separate barrack on May 17 when he developed severe pain in his spinal cord.
Shukla`s medical records were checked and after advise of doctors further action will be taken, the superintendent said.
After a special CBI court remanded Shukla in judicial custody for 14 days on May 17 no one has visited him in the jail.
In 2010-11, two senior doctors associated with the health department were murdered.
Another official was found dead in a Lucknow jail. In January, a UP Jal Nigam officer allegedly committed suicide because he was being investigated in connection with the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what