NRHM scam: Pradeep Shukla fears for life
Ghaziabad: Senior IAS officer Pradeep Shukla, an accused in the NRHM scam and lodged in Dasna jail here, has expressed fear for his life.
Citing examples of previous incidents, Shukla has sought security in his cell.
The National Rural Health Mission scam, which is being probed for alleged bungling of over Rs 10,000 crore of central funds, has allegedly claimed five lives till now.
However, jail Superintendent Viresh Raj Sharma dismissed the IAS officer`s concerns saying Shukla was lodged in a solitary cell with adequate security.
A panel of doctors also attended him as he had complained of pain in spine due to tumour, Sharma said.
The senior officer, lodged in barrack number 16 (A) in Dasna was shifted to a separate barrack on May 17 when he developed severe pain in his spinal cord.
Shukla`s medical records were checked and after advise of doctors further action will be taken, the superintendent said.
After a special CBI court remanded Shukla in judicial custody for 14 days on May 17 no one has visited him in the jail.
In 2010-11, two senior doctors associated with the health department were murdered.
Another official was found dead in a Lucknow jail. In January, a UP Jal Nigam officer allegedly committed suicide because he was being investigated in connection with the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak