NRHM scam: Pradeep Shukla fears for life
Ghaziabad: Senior IAS officer Pradeep Shukla, an accused in the NRHM scam and lodged in Dasna jail here, has expressed fear for his life.
Citing examples of previous incidents, Shukla has sought security in his cell.
The National Rural Health Mission scam, which is being probed for alleged bungling of over Rs 10,000 crore of central funds, has allegedly claimed five lives till now.
However, jail Superintendent Viresh Raj Sharma dismissed the IAS officer`s concerns saying Shukla was lodged in a solitary cell with adequate security.
A panel of doctors also attended him as he had complained of pain in spine due to tumour, Sharma said.
The senior officer, lodged in barrack number 16 (A) in Dasna was shifted to a separate barrack on May 17 when he developed severe pain in his spinal cord.
Shukla`s medical records were checked and after advise of doctors further action will be taken, the superintendent said.
After a special CBI court remanded Shukla in judicial custody for 14 days on May 17 no one has visited him in the jail.
In 2010-11, two senior doctors associated with the health department were murdered.
Another official was found dead in a Lucknow jail. In January, a UP Jal Nigam officer allegedly committed suicide because he was being investigated in connection with the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy