NRHM scam: SC notice to CBI on Pradeep Shukla`s bail plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday sought the CBI`s response on an interim bail plea of senior IAS officer Pradeep Shukla, who has been named by the agency as a key accused in the multi-crore NRHM scam of Uttar Pradesh.
A vacation bench of justices Gyan Sudha Misra and Madan B Lokur gave the probe agency one week to respond to Shukla`s plea for bail on medical grounds.
Shukla, who was formerly a principal secretary (Health and Family Welfare) in Uttar Pradesh, has been accused of committing irregularities in the implementation of the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scheme in the state.
In his petition, Shukla has sought bail on account of some spinal problem he is suffering from.
The CBI is investigating the over Rs 500 crore scam and the trial in the case is being held on day-to-day basis.
The Allahabad High Court earlier on May 31 had rejected the bail plea of Shukla after the probe agency contended that he could influence the witnesses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price