NRHM scam: SC notice to CBI on Pradeep Shukla`s bail plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday sought the CBI`s response on an interim bail plea of senior IAS officer Pradeep Shukla, who has been named by the agency as a key accused in the multi-crore NRHM scam of Uttar Pradesh.
A vacation bench of justices Gyan Sudha Misra and Madan B Lokur gave the probe agency one week to respond to Shukla`s plea for bail on medical grounds.
Shukla, who was formerly a principal secretary (Health and Family Welfare) in Uttar Pradesh, has been accused of committing irregularities in the implementation of the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scheme in the state.
In his petition, Shukla has sought bail on account of some spinal problem he is suffering from.
The CBI is investigating the over Rs 500 crore scam and the trial in the case is being held on day-to-day basis.
The Allahabad High Court earlier on May 31 had rejected the bail plea of Shukla after the probe agency contended that he could influence the witnesses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video