NRHM scam: SC notice to CBI on Pradeep Shukla`s bail plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday sought the CBI`s response on an interim bail plea of senior IAS officer Pradeep Shukla, who has been named by the agency as a key accused in the multi-crore NRHM scam of Uttar Pradesh.
A vacation bench of justices Gyan Sudha Misra and Madan B Lokur gave the probe agency one week to respond to Shukla`s plea for bail on medical grounds.
Shukla, who was formerly a principal secretary (Health and Family Welfare) in Uttar Pradesh, has been accused of committing irregularities in the implementation of the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scheme in the state.
In his petition, Shukla has sought bail on account of some spinal problem he is suffering from.
The CBI is investigating the over Rs 500 crore scam and the trial in the case is being held on day-to-day basis.
The Allahabad High Court earlier on May 31 had rejected the bail plea of Shukla after the probe agency contended that he could influence the witnesses.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed