Official tells EC he can`t file FIR against Jaya Bachchan
Lucknow: A senior UP Assembly official
has informed the Election Commission that he has no legal
authority to file an FIR against SP MP Jaya Bachchan following
a complaint alleging that she filed a false affidavit during
2004 Rajya Sabha polls.
Acting on a complaint by Congress leader Madan Mohan
Shukla in March, the EC had asked the principal secretary of
the Assembly to file an FIR under section 195 of the CrPC
against 62-year-old Bachchan, by virture of being the
Returning Officer (RO) for the polls, officials said here
Section 195 deals with prosecution for contempt of
lawful authority of public servants, for offences against
public justice and for offences relating to documents given in
Shukla had alleged that though Bachchan was the
chairperson of the UP Film Development Council at the time of
filing her nomination in June 2004, she had, in her affidavit,
claimed to have resigned from the post.
However, the principal secretary of the Assembly
Pradeep Dubey, in his reply to the EC, has expressed his
inability to lodge an FIR against Bachchan saying he had no
legal authority to initiate proceedings against her.
Dubey said that he had sent a letter to the EC
clarifying the situation.
"I have no authority in Jaya Bachchan`s case and have
sent a letter to the EC in this regard stating that I cannot
entertain the complaint. Now the disposal would be done at the
EC`s level as it is the competent authority to take action,"
The Election Commission officials in New Delhi
declined to comment on the issue.
Dubey has stated that the Returning Officer is on
deputation with the EC only during the election period till
the time results are announced and after that he reverts to
the administrative control of the Speaker of the state
The principal secretary said that being under the
administrative control of the Speaker, he had no jurisdiction
to initiate prosecution proceedings.
Dubey said that he was not the RO when the election
was held in 2004.
Bachchan was disqualified from the membership of the
Rajya Sabha in March 2004 for holding an office of profit as
chairperson of the UP Film Development Council.
She was again elected to the Rajya Sabha in June 2004
after being renominated by the Samajwadi Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared