Oil mafia tries to set govt official on fire in UP
Badaun: In what may come as a major embarrassment for Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, a state government official in Badaun was attacked by local goons, allegedly part of the oil mafia, who tried to set him on fire for raiding a ration shop yesterday.
Reports, Friday, claimed that Neeraj Singh, the district supply officer, was attacked while he was raiding a ration shop along with ten people to check on alleged kerosene hoarding.
Girish Chandra, the owner of the shop and a resident of Dehgawan village, attacked Singh with his men when the supply officer sealed kerosene barrels at the shop,
Chandra and his men broke the seals and damaged the window panes of his car, doused it with kerosene, with the government official inside, and then attempted to set it on fire.
Later talking to reporters, Singh said that the shop owner and his supporters tried to set the car aflame twice but failed.
"I was informed over the phone that large scale black marketing of kerosene was being done. We went with a team of 10 people and sealed drums of kerosene. They broke the seals. They then surrounded my vehicle and broke the windows of the car. And tried to set me and my car on fire. We have got a case registered under the Zarifnagar police station. My staff is local and will be able to identify the people. We had gone to conduct a raid on the shop of Girish Chandra Gupta," he was quoted as saying in a report by NDTV.
An attempt to murder case has been registered against 60 people, however no arrests have been made so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened