One held for Ballia boat tragedy
Lucknow: A man has been arrested for illegally operating the boat that capsized in the Ganges in Uttar Pradesh Monday, drowning 61 people, police said Friday.
Contractor Banar Dubey had not taken the mandatory approval from the Zila Parishad (district council) to operate the boat from the Ujwalia bank of the river in Ballia district, some 300 km from here.
Dubey was arrested late Thursday from Haldi area in Ballia. "A case of criminal negligence has been filed against him," police inspector Arvind Mishra told reporters in Ballia.
Those in the boat were going midstream to perform rituals related to a ceremony of their children. The dead included 23 children.
"Dubey was illegally operating the boat for several months," Mishra said.
Police are yet to arrest the boatman, Harivansh, who escaped after the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket