Online registry of gun licenses to come up soon in Kanpur
Kanpur: To identify people with criminal cases who have procured licensed weapons after providing false addresses, a re-verification drive would soon be conducted in the city after which names of those with arms license will be displayed online from next month.
"In an investigation we have found that people with criminal cases against their names have procured weapons by providing false addresses. There are over 50,000 people with licensed weapons in the town while another 3,000 have applied for them," said ADM City Avinash Singh.
The city administration has started the re-verification process and once it is completed, we will know who all have filled incorrect addresses and whether they have criminal cases against their name. All such licenses will be immediately cancelled, he said.
Last year more than half a dozen cases had been found where people with criminal cases against them, had given wrong addresses and managed to get the weapons. All such licenses will be immediately cancelled after the verification is done, he added.
He also added that the verification process has already started and once it is completed, the names of everyone with licensed weapons will be displayed online. The online process is expected to start by May.
"This process will help us in streamlining the licensing of weapons and will also help in stopping the criminals from getting them. Moreover, people who really them can get them easily this way," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video