Online registry of gun licenses to come up soon in Kanpur
Kanpur: To identify people with criminal cases who have procured licensed weapons after providing false addresses, a re-verification drive would soon be conducted in the city after which names of those with arms license will be displayed online from next month.
"In an investigation we have found that people with criminal cases against their names have procured weapons by providing false addresses. There are over 50,000 people with licensed weapons in the town while another 3,000 have applied for them," said ADM City Avinash Singh.
The city administration has started the re-verification process and once it is completed, we will know who all have filled incorrect addresses and whether they have criminal cases against their name. All such licenses will be immediately cancelled, he said.
Last year more than half a dozen cases had been found where people with criminal cases against them, had given wrong addresses and managed to get the weapons. All such licenses will be immediately cancelled after the verification is done, he added.
He also added that the verification process has already started and once it is completed, the names of everyone with licensed weapons will be displayed online. The online process is expected to start by May.
"This process will help us in streamlining the licensing of weapons and will also help in stopping the criminals from getting them. Moreover, people who really them can get them easily this way," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed