Open the university, remove the VC: AMU teachers
Aligarh: Terming the shutdown of AMU as
"illegal", its teachers on Sunday demanded that the university be
re-opened immediately and the Vice Chancellor and the Proctor
A resolution to this effect was passed at a stormy
meeting of the teachers` association which demanded immediate
revocation of the order to shut the university indefinitely.
The resolution also demanded the removal of Vice-Chancellor
PDK Abdul Aziz and Proctor Mujahid Beg.
The AMU was on Saturday shut down indefinitely following
violent clashes between two groups of students on Friday that
left 12 of them injured.
The secretary of the teachers` association Mutafa
Zaidi said that their delegation will leave for New Delhi to
apprise the Human Resource Development Ministry of the current
"Any delay in taking urgent remedial steps by the HRD
Ministry would result in irreparable damage to the institution
and the Central government would also be accountable for the
present mess," Zaidi said.
"The university has suffered similar closures thrice
during the past four years," said Zaidi, adding, "The present
University administration which is facing serious charges of
financial bungling has lost the moral authority to run the
"If university does not reopen at an early date,
careers of thousands of students would be jeopardised," said
Wasim Ahmed, former MP and member of AMU Court,
demanded the intervention of central government to "save"
Aligarh Muslim University.
Ahmed said the Centre should intervene to save the
University which has been witnessing clashes between students.
"The University should be reopened. The Centre should
intervene," he said in Delhi.
A spokesperson of the university claimed that more
than 40 per cent students have already vacated the hostels in
a peaceful manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore