Oppn members stage sit-in in UP House, evicted by marshals
Lucknow: High drama was witnessed in the
Uttar Pradesh Assembly late last night when opposition members
staged a dharna in the House even after it was adjourned sine
die leading to their forcible eviction by marshals.
As soon as the Uttar Pradesh Assembly was adjourned
sine die a week before the scheduled date yesterday,
opposition members including those from the BJP, Congress and
SP staged a dharna demanding the continuation of the session.
Though BJP leader Hukum Singh, who had announced a
fast-unto-death, and Congress members relented and left the
House, SP members continued to stage the sit-in. They were
also demanding recall of the bill relating to amendment in
local bodies act.
Almost 100 MLAs of SP and RLD staged a dharna inside
the House with some squatting in the well to press for their
As the dharna continued past midnight, marshals
forcibly evicted some of the members who refused to budge at
around 1 AM.
Earlier, Samajwadi Party workers were lathicharged
when they gheraoed the Vidhan Sabha in support of the SP
members staging the sit-in inside it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram