Oppn protest over amendment in local bodies Act baseless: UP CM
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati has on Tuesday termed protest by the opposition parties as
"unfortunate and baseless" over the amendment in the
urban local bodies act.
"The Chief Minister has termed protest by opposition
parties over the bill for amendment in election process of
mayors and chairmen as unfortunate and baseless," Additional
Cabinet Secretary Ravindra Singh told reporters here.
The Uttar Pradesh Assembly was yesterday adjourned
sine die after opposition members created rumpus over the
bill which proposes indirect elections for mayors and chairmen
of urban local bodies.
Their contention was that the bill could encourage
horse trading and dominance of money and muscle power in the
urban local bodies.
"For effective implementation of the welfare schemes
through local bodies it was observed that election process of
the mayors and chairmen, which was in practice before 1994,
should be implemented," Singh said.
As per the new bill, which has been passed by both the
Houses of the state Assembly, indirect elections of mayors and
chairmen will be done, instead of direct election being
He said that in the existing system it has been
observed that mutual understanding between the corporators and
mayors was lacking as a result to which proper implementation
of welfare schemes cannot be ensured and working of local
bodies was affected.
"More so, process of indirect elections of chairmen in
panchayats is already been followed since long and is time
tested," he said.
"The CM is of the view that in the public interest
government has the powers to amend any act," he added.
He said that system of indirect elections was followed
by various government for 40 years and unnecessary protest
started when the existing government initiated the move to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'