Oppn protest over amendment in local bodies Act baseless: UP CM
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati has on Tuesday termed protest by the opposition parties as
"unfortunate and baseless" over the amendment in the
urban local bodies act.
"The Chief Minister has termed protest by opposition
parties over the bill for amendment in election process of
mayors and chairmen as unfortunate and baseless," Additional
Cabinet Secretary Ravindra Singh told reporters here.
The Uttar Pradesh Assembly was yesterday adjourned
sine die after opposition members created rumpus over the
bill which proposes indirect elections for mayors and chairmen
of urban local bodies.
Their contention was that the bill could encourage
horse trading and dominance of money and muscle power in the
urban local bodies.
"For effective implementation of the welfare schemes
through local bodies it was observed that election process of
the mayors and chairmen, which was in practice before 1994,
should be implemented," Singh said.
As per the new bill, which has been passed by both the
Houses of the state Assembly, indirect elections of mayors and
chairmen will be done, instead of direct election being
He said that in the existing system it has been
observed that mutual understanding between the corporators and
mayors was lacking as a result to which proper implementation
of welfare schemes cannot be ensured and working of local
bodies was affected.
"More so, process of indirect elections of chairmen in
panchayats is already been followed since long and is time
tested," he said.
"The CM is of the view that in the public interest
government has the powers to amend any act," he added.
He said that system of indirect elections was followed
by various government for 40 years and unnecessary protest
started when the existing government initiated the move to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands