Oppn protest over amendment in local bodies Act baseless: UP CM
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati has on Tuesday termed protest by the opposition parties as
"unfortunate and baseless" over the amendment in the
urban local bodies act.
"The Chief Minister has termed protest by opposition
parties over the bill for amendment in election process of
mayors and chairmen as unfortunate and baseless," Additional
Cabinet Secretary Ravindra Singh told reporters here.
The Uttar Pradesh Assembly was yesterday adjourned
sine die after opposition members created rumpus over the
bill which proposes indirect elections for mayors and chairmen
of urban local bodies.
Their contention was that the bill could encourage
horse trading and dominance of money and muscle power in the
urban local bodies.
"For effective implementation of the welfare schemes
through local bodies it was observed that election process of
the mayors and chairmen, which was in practice before 1994,
should be implemented," Singh said.
As per the new bill, which has been passed by both the
Houses of the state Assembly, indirect elections of mayors and
chairmen will be done, instead of direct election being
He said that in the existing system it has been
observed that mutual understanding between the corporators and
mayors was lacking as a result to which proper implementation
of welfare schemes cannot be ensured and working of local
bodies was affected.
"More so, process of indirect elections of chairmen in
panchayats is already been followed since long and is time
tested," he said.
"The CM is of the view that in the public interest
government has the powers to amend any act," he added.
He said that system of indirect elections was followed
by various government for 40 years and unnecessary protest
started when the existing government initiated the move to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre