Opposition accuses Mayawati of bulldozing local bodies
Lucknow: Accusing Uttar Pradesh Chief
Minister Mayawati of attempting to bulldoze local bodies,
the Opposition parties on Wednesday alleged that the state government
was secretly effecting changes in their election process.
"The state government has issued a notification of a
draft of UP Municipalities (Election of Members, Corporators,
Chairmen and Mayors) Rules 2010, in which several undemocratic
proposals have been made," Congress spokesman Akhilesh Pratap
He said till now election of local bodies were held on
"In the draft rule it has been proposed that the
elections to the post of members, corporators, chairman and
mayor of the municipalities should not be contested on party
lines," he said.
He alleged that the government was even ready with a
proposal to abolish system of direct election of mayors and
chairmen by the people.
The Congress spokesman alleged that as the BSP had no
base in local bodies, it was affecting changes in there
State BJP president Surya Pratap Shahi claimed that
suggestions were not invited from the political parties in
"We have not received any notice so far and I guess
similar is the status of the other parties," he said.
"I would like to ask that what was the need of
carrying out the exercise secretly without consulting the
political parties," he questioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam