Opposition accuses Mayawati of bulldozing local bodies
Lucknow: Accusing Uttar Pradesh Chief
Minister Mayawati of attempting to bulldoze local bodies,
the Opposition parties on Wednesday alleged that the state government
was secretly effecting changes in their election process.
"The state government has issued a notification of a
draft of UP Municipalities (Election of Members, Corporators,
Chairmen and Mayors) Rules 2010, in which several undemocratic
proposals have been made," Congress spokesman Akhilesh Pratap
He said till now election of local bodies were held on
"In the draft rule it has been proposed that the
elections to the post of members, corporators, chairman and
mayor of the municipalities should not be contested on party
lines," he said.
He alleged that the government was even ready with a
proposal to abolish system of direct election of mayors and
chairmen by the people.
The Congress spokesman alleged that as the BSP had no
base in local bodies, it was affecting changes in there
State BJP president Surya Pratap Shahi claimed that
suggestions were not invited from the political parties in
"We have not received any notice so far and I guess
similar is the status of the other parties," he said.
"I would like to ask that what was the need of
carrying out the exercise secretly without consulting the
political parties," he questioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read