Order for early closure of shops illogical: BJP
Lucknow: BJP on Monday termed the Uttar Pradesh government order for early closure of shops and eateries in a bid to resolve the power crisis in the state as "illogical".
"The government`s order regarding early closure of shops and eateries for the next 15 days is illogical," party spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak told reporters here.
He said that while issuing the order, the government must also clarify what arrangements it was going to make so that the situation would improve within 15 days.
"The government should also clarify as to how it will resolve the power crisis in the next 15 days," he said.
In a bid to address the power crisis, timings of malls, shops and restaurants have been revised by the labour department.
"For the next 15 days all shops and malls in the state, excluding medical stores, will open at 11 AM and would close at 7 PM," an official spokesman said here yesterday.
Similarly, all restaurants would operate between 11 AM to 10 PM, the spokesman said.
The state is facing acute power crisis this summer as there is a gap of more than 2,000 mega watt in supply and demand of the power.
"Wasn`t the government aware that there would be power crisis during summer season and why advance arrangements were not made to tackle the situation," Pathak said.
He said that the government should have set an example by switching off air-conditioners in its office first.
"Majority of the government offices have central air-conditioning system which consume huge electricity and are operational throughout the day," he said.
The trader organisations have already lodged a protest against the labour department order while terming it as draconian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister