Oust BSP govt like you did the British rule: Rahul
Meerut: Congress general secretary Rahul
Gandhi on Thursday recalled history and asked the people here to
oust the Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh the way they had
once freed the country from the yoke of the British rule.
"It is time for you to break free. Untie your hands which
have been tied by successive governments in Uttar Pradesh.
Vote for us for the sake of your own development. With your
power, you ousted the British, throw them out also," Gandhi
said while addressing a big public rally at Ramlila Ground
The time has come to show the same courage and put their
weight behind Congress-RLD-combine in UP, Rahul said.
Selling the plank of change, the Nehru-Gandhi family
scion said he did not believe in making a slew of promises.
"I will make only one promise. We will change the face of
this state. We will bring development to the farm sector the
way we did in Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Kerala etc," he said.
Addressing the rally a day after Congress had flaunted
the Rajiv Gandhi find, technocrat Sam Pitroda, as the new OBC
face in election-bound UP, Rahul today refrained from raising
the caste issue.
Accompanied by RLD leader Ajit Singh and Congress leader
Digvijay Singh and MPs Jayant Chaudhary and Deepinder Hooda,
Rahul stressed people`s power to usher change in his 15 minute
"You alone have the power to change your destiny. You
threw out the British. Now is the time to oust the current
government in UP and elect the Congress-RLD combine. We
promise we will change the face of this state," Rahul said,
playing the development card at the well attended rally.
Four to five activists of UP Navnirman Sena, who were
waving black flags as Rahul stood up to speak, were whisked
away by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org