Outgoing BJP chief in UP welcomes appointment of successor
Lucknow: The outgoing chief of Uttar Pradesh
BJP Ramapati Ram Tripathi today welcomed the appointment of
senior leader Surya Pratap Shahi as the new President of the
state unit of the party.
Thanking the party leadership and its Parliamentary Board
for appointing Shahi to the post, Tripathi exuded confidence
that he would provide strong leadership to the Pradesh BJP.
Leader of the party in the State Assembly Om Prakash
Singh has also welcomed Shahi`s appointment.
A former minister, Shahi, who was vice president of the
state unit, was today appointed its President.
Born in 1952, Shahi became MLA for the first time in
1985 and was re-elected in 1991 and 1996 from Kasya in
He had been active in student politics since 1975
and had also held several responsibilities in the ABVP, the
student wing of the BJP and RSS earlier.
In 1991 and 1997, he was minister of state for home and
excise and had been vice president of the state unit since
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption