Over 33,000 Muzaffarnagar riots refugees apply to register in voters list
Muzaffarnagar: Over 33 thousand displaced riots victims of the Muzaffarnagar communal violence have applied to enrol in electoral list from new places in the district, a senior official said here Tuesday.
"At least 33,022 people displaced due to riots have applied for the enrolment in voter list and it is being considered to enrol them from new places," District Magistrate and District Election officer Koshal Raj Sharma said.
To facilitate enrolment of people displaced during Muzaffarnagar riots in electoral list, the Election Commission has launched a special drive in 22 villages where the riots victims have been rehabilitated.
The riots in Muzaffarnagar in September last year left over 60 people dead and rendered 40,000 homeless who had to seek shelter in relief camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing