Over 33,000 Muzaffarnagar riots refugees apply to register in voters list
Muzaffarnagar: Over 33 thousand displaced riots victims of the Muzaffarnagar communal violence have applied to enrol in electoral list from new places in the district, a senior official said here Tuesday.
"At least 33,022 people displaced due to riots have applied for the enrolment in voter list and it is being considered to enrol them from new places," District Magistrate and District Election officer Koshal Raj Sharma said.
To facilitate enrolment of people displaced during Muzaffarnagar riots in electoral list, the Election Commission has launched a special drive in 22 villages where the riots victims have been rehabilitated.
The riots in Muzaffarnagar in September last year left over 60 people dead and rendered 40,000 homeless who had to seek shelter in relief camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'