Over 33,000 Muzaffarnagar riots refugees apply to register in voters list
Muzaffarnagar: Over 33 thousand displaced riots victims of the Muzaffarnagar communal violence have applied to enrol in electoral list from new places in the district, a senior official said here Tuesday.
"At least 33,022 people displaced due to riots have applied for the enrolment in voter list and it is being considered to enrol them from new places," District Magistrate and District Election officer Koshal Raj Sharma said.
To facilitate enrolment of people displaced during Muzaffarnagar riots in electoral list, the Election Commission has launched a special drive in 22 villages where the riots victims have been rehabilitated.
The riots in Muzaffarnagar in September last year left over 60 people dead and rendered 40,000 homeless who had to seek shelter in relief camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP