Over 33,000 Muzaffarnagar riots refugees apply to register in voters list
Muzaffarnagar: Over 33 thousand displaced riots victims of the Muzaffarnagar communal violence have applied to enrol in electoral list from new places in the district, a senior official said here Tuesday.
"At least 33,022 people displaced due to riots have applied for the enrolment in voter list and it is being considered to enrol them from new places," District Magistrate and District Election officer Koshal Raj Sharma said.
To facilitate enrolment of people displaced during Muzaffarnagar riots in electoral list, the Election Commission has launched a special drive in 22 villages where the riots victims have been rehabilitated.
The riots in Muzaffarnagar in September last year left over 60 people dead and rendered 40,000 homeless who had to seek shelter in relief camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department