Over 350 activists arrested on eve of VHP`s Ayodhya rally
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh police on Thursday arrested around 340 people, including former BJP MLA Lalu Singh, and put 42 others under house arrest on the eve of the VHP`s `Sankalp Diwas` rally in Ayodhya, which has been banned by the state government.
Talking to reporters here, IG (law and order) R K Vishwakarma said 340 people have been arrested, 42 have been placed under house arrest and 39 people have been charged with CrPC Section 107/16.
Those arrested included VHP spokesman and former BJP MLA Lalu Singh, he said, adding there was no information regarding the arrest or house arrest of senior VHP leader Ashok Singhal.
To prevent VHP activists from attending the rally, three-tier barriers have been put up on Saryu bridge, Faizabad district and Ayodhya, he said, adding as many as 2,000 jawans of RAF, police and PAC have been deployed in the area.
As a precautionary measure, the local administration has set up a temporary jail at the Police Line, the IG added.
VHP has given a call to observe `Sankalp Diwas` in Ram Sewak Puram in Ayodhya to take a resolve for launching an agitation for rebuilding the Ram temple in Ayodhya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price