Over 570 UP villages hit by floods following incessant rains
Lucknow: More than 570 villages of Uttar Pradesh have been hit by floods following incessant downpour in most parts of the state since Sunday, officials said on Monday.
Most districts in the flood-hit areas have received 25 to 30 mm rainfall in the last one day and the rivers are in spate in these areas, leading to flooding of villages.
Regional met director JP Gupta told a news agency that there was a low pressure over eastern Uttar Pradesh and in such conditions more rains would come in this week.
Teams of the provincial armed constabulary (PAC), National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and other wings of the state police have been pressed into service to evacuate people to safer places.
In eastern UP, rivers like Boodhi Rapti, Ghaghra and Sharda are flowing above the danger level at many places and a bridge near Chowki Didai on the Siddharthanagar-Basti national highway has been washed away by the Jamuar Nala.
The regional met office has predicted continued rains in most parts of the state over the next two days, with "very heavy rains" in the eastern parts of the state.
The state machinery has been put on high alert in 12 districts of this region with the possibility of river waters entering new areas in the next day or two.
The maximum battering in the last one day was taken by Basti (190 mm), Sant Kabeernagar (170 mm), Gorakhpur (144.8 mm) and Lakhimpur Kheri (134 mm).
Rains continued to drench the state capital with the month of June being declared the wettest month in the last one decade.
The maximum temperature came down to 25.9 degrees, which is well over 10 degrees down the normal temperature in this part of the year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know