Over 600 prisoners in Kanpur jail observe fast during Navaratri
Kanpur: As many as 620 prisoners, including women inmates, are observing fast during the nine-day auspicious period of Navratri in Kanpur District Jail with special arrangements made by the authorities for them.
"Around thousand prisoners had observed fast on the first day of Navaratra and the same number of inmates are expected to fast on the last day too," Jail Superintendent PD Salonia said.
The jail authorities have made special arrangements for them and all necessary food items like milk, fruits etc are being provided to fasting inmates, he added.
Salonia said bhajans, kirtans and other rituals are also being organised for inmates.
Navratri, considered as one of the most auspicious days of Hindu calendar, began on April 11 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city