Owaisi brothers` proposed Aligarh visit sparks controversy
Aligarh: BJP on Friday staged a demonstration opposing any visit by All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslemin (MIM) chief Akbaruddin Owaisi, who is facing charges of making hate speech, or his brother to Aligarh, claiming that it would breach peace in Uttar Pradesh.
Led by Mayor of Aligarh Shakuntala Bharti, Bhartiya Janata Party workers held a demonstration and met the Additional District Magistrate demanding that Owaisi brothers should not be allowed to visit Aligarh this weekend.
The memorandum stated that the presence of the Owaisi brothers in UP would threaten preace "in view of the recent incidents involving hate speeches" by Akbaruddin.
Meanwhile, the Aligarh Muslim University Students Union today said that it has not invited Akbaruddin for a seminar tomorrow but his elder brother Asaduddin Owasi, who has "no charges" against him and alleged that some political outfits were trying to give communal colour to the issue.
"We have not invited Akbaruddin Owaisi but his elder brother Asaduddin Owasi, MP from Hyderabad, for a seminar on `History of Aligarh college movement` on March 9 and there are no charges on him," president of AMU students union Shahzad Alam said.
"Some political outfits want to give it a communal colour by sreading rumours to this effect... This seminar has nothing to do with Akbaruuddin Owaisi," he said.
Alam clarified that the father of Owaisi brothers, Salauddin Owaisi, had been member of the AMU court for a long time.
After spending 38 days in a prison, MIM legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi, who is facing charges of sedition and waging war against the nation for his ?hate speech?, was released on bail on February 16 in Andhra Pradesh.
Meanwhile a senior AMU official claimed that there was "no information regarding any such invitation" by the Students Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city