Owner hit by plane on runway, dies
Meerut: A 40-year-old man was killed on Saturday at the Partapur air strip here after being hit by a micro-lite plane he owned as he clicked its pictures.
Police said the four-seater plane - VT-UAG - belonged to local businessman Mukesh Garg, the victim.
Official sources say the BR Ambedkar air strip was not used for commercial purposes and was off and on used for joy rides by businessmen and real estate owners whose small planes were parked in the hanger.
The deceased came to the airport for a joy ride with two friends on Saturday. But he chose not to fly but asked his friends to take the small flight as he shot their pictures from the ground.
The two friends, after a 15-minute sortie, were set to land when Garg apparently got dangerously close to the air strip and was hit by one of the rotor blades.
Garg suffered serious gashes on his head and slumped on the strip. By the time the plane halted and people rushed to the spot, he had died.
The pilot and co-pilot also received minor injuries.
The district administration has ordered a probe, which would also cover the apparent lapse by civil aviation authorities because of which Garg was allowed to go on to the runway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Curfew continues across Kashmir Valley as separatists extend shutdown till Monday
- France committed to leading Israel-Palestine talks: Hollande
- US sues Pennsylvania town for ban on building mosque
- Turkey temporarily suspends human rights convention after failed coup
- 'Don't abandon search for MH370,' plead families of victims