Paan masala factory raided for tax evasion
Kanpur: The Central Excise department conducted a raid at a paan masala factory in Bagahi area for alleged tax evasion to the tune of Rs 1.5 crore, an excise official said on Saturday.
Based on information, the department conducted the
raid at the factory on Friday evening and found three paan masala
manufacturing machines for which tax was not paid.
The factory was liable to pay Rs 12.5 lakh per
machine per month as tax to the excise department, he said,
adding that the tax evasion for the three machines in the
period of April to July, 2011 added up to Rs 1.5 crore.
The department has sealed the three machines and also
seized paan masala worth lakhs of rupees, he said.
While, Manoj Shrivastav, an employee of the factory,
has been arrested and remanded to 13 days of judicial custody,
a search is on for factory owners Naseem Mustafa, Mohan Lal
Mundada and Haaji Rais, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS