Pak national gets life term for 1996 Modinagar bus blast
Ghaziabad: Two persons, including a Pakistani national, were sentenced to life imprisonment by a local court in the 1996 Modinagar bus blast case, while the third accused was discharged due to lack of evidence.
Additional Sessions Judge Mangal Prasad also imposed a fine of Rs 50,000 each on Ilyas and Pakistani national Abdul Matin, and acquitted Tasleem.
Sixteen people were killed and over 18 injured, when a blast took place in a UP roadways bus in Modinagar, when it was on way to Uttarakhand from Delhi.
Investigation agency CB-CID had first arrested Ilyas and Tasleem, in connection with the blast.
During interrogation, both the accused had revealed that Matin was main conspirator in the blast, after which police also arrested him. Charges were framed against the trio in 2003.
The court held both the accused guilty under IPC sections 307 (Attempt to murder) and 121 (Waging, or attempting to wage war, or abetting waging of war, against the Government of India) among others.
The court had concluded hearing in the case on April 4. A total of 34 witnesses were examined by the prosecution.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists