Panchayat launches anti-hooch drive
Meerut: Panchayat in Ammanullahpur village in this district has launched a drive against hooch, which has ruined many families in the hamlet, saying it will impose fine on sellers and buyers of the country-made liquor.
The panchayat announced its decision yesterday to impose a fine of Rs 500 on anyone consuming hooch while persons selling illicit liquor will be fined Rs 5,000, village head Mange Ram said today.
"The panchyat has formed a committee of villagers including women to implement the decision," Ram said.
He said the panchayat will give a prize of Rs 500 to anyone informing the police about hooch.
Police in-charge of Jani police station in the area said the initiative taken by the Panchayat against hooch was good, but cautioned that no one would be allowed to take the law and in their own hands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof